MT Lab is an innovation hub, dedicated to strengthening entrepreneurship and innovation specifically in the tourism, culture and entertainment sectors. This action is based on four pillars:
- A year of incubation for companies that have the potential to innovate in these sectors;
- A program of animation, training and conferences with industry leaders;
- A co-working space for collaboration between startups and our partners;
- Exclusive demo days where the incubated companies and other relevant startups are invited to present their business solutions to each team of our partners.
MT Lab host fledgling entrepreneurs from Quebec, Canada and abroad in the tourism, transport, festivals, culture, hotel, restaurant and entertainment sectors. It aims :
- To sustain entrepreneurship and innovation in the tourism, culture and entertaining sectors;
- To make Quebec’s tourism, culture and entertaining and the innovation ecosystem collaborate together;
- To strengthen Montréal and Québec’s creativity and innovation leadership.
We would like to actively confront the following challenges faced by start-ups:
- The obstacles resulting from isolation
- The difficulty of meeting decision-makers from major groups
- The lack of understanding and support
- The complexity of launching a product and/or service internationally
- The lack of knowledge about the tourism industry and opportunities it presents
- The administrative, legal, and fiscal complexities associated with starting and growing a business
Members of the board
This list by itself shows how seriously the community wants MT Lab to succeed:
- Pierre Bellerose, VP, Tourisme Montréal (Chairman of the MT Lab’s Board)
- Paul Arseneault, Holder of the Chaire de tourisme Transat chair (MT Lab’s VP Innovation)
- Stéphanie Normandin, Associate, Miller Thomson (Secretary of the MT Lab’s Board)
- Maude Lavoie, CPA, CA, Première directrice, Audit, Richter (Treasurer of the MT Lab’s Board)
- Sylvain Carle, Associate, Real Ventures
- Carl Frédéric De Celles, President, iXmédia
- LP Maurice, President, Busbud
- Guy-Joffroy Lord, Director, business sales, Tourisme Montréal
- Valérie Bourgeois, Director, Boréalis
- Caroline Roger, Service partenariats & soutien à l’innovation, UQAM
Grand Partners committee
Members of the steering committee who have selected the priority areas of interest and the startups for the incubator program
- Aéroports de Montréal
- Air Canada
- Alliance de l’industrie touristique du Québec
- Institut du tourisme et de l’hôtellerie du Québec (ITHQ)
- Musée de la Civilisation de Québec
- La Société des établissements de plein air du Québec (Sépaq)
- Tourisme Montréal
If you’re a startup, see the Call for Applications to apply.
This is how it all started
In Montréal and the province of Québec, tourism is a significant economic driver. The MTLab aims to help the sector reinvent itself.
In 2012, the City of Paris created an urban tourism incubator, the Welcome City Lab (WCL), through Paris & Co.
After a visit in 2015, the UQAM’s École des sciences de la gestion (ESG), the City of Montréal, and Tourisme Montréal, have decided to collaborate in establishing the Montréal chapter of the Welcome City Lab, the MTLab
MT Lab founding partner are l’Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) et son École des sciences de la gestion (ESG UQAM), and Montreal Tourism. With the financial participation of Montréal and the Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Occupation du territoire MT Lab will be located in the heart of the Montréal’s Entertainment District.
This project is a model of synergy between academic, entrepreneurial and tourism sectors.
Grand opening September 2017.