The application’s deadline is reached.
Benefit from personalized support for one year, adapted to your business development growth, individual meetings to validate your fit-to-market and possibilities of international exchanges!
Either your startup has an innovative solution in AI and data analysis, or has alternative solutions to labor shortage that would increase productivity and efficiency, digital services on destination, clean techs or even process optimizations on strategic watch and forecast on trends, apply!
Save the date!
Once you’ve filled and sent your application form, you will receive an email that will allow you access to this form in order to modify and improve it up until the end of the application deadline, on March 15th, 2019, 11:59 PM UTC-5 HNE. You’ll also get another email with an invitation to one of our “Clinique conseil”, where we take some time in small groups to talk about your businesses and help you improve your application forms, in order to help you gaining more chances of success among our partners!
- March 15th: Application deadline
- April 9th: Selection of the finalists by the partners
- April 24th: Pitch in front of the partners and selection of the startups for the incubation program
- May 3rd: Beginning of the program
The program’s benefits
- A one-year incubation program (May 2019-May 2020)
- Access to and visibility with partners and their networks
- The possibility of pilot projects with participating partners
- Low-cost coworking accommodation for one year on the premises of MT Lab, in the heart of the Montreal’s Entertainment District
- The chance to be part of one or more full-day demo days in front of the teams of the pertinent members of the steering committee
- The possibility to go to Welcome City Lab in Paris for an exchange
The MT Lab’s major partners will base their choice on these following criterias:
- Innovative nature of the project, concept or service
- Economic potential of the company and the ability to create jobs
- Credibility and seriousness of the business plan
- Contribution to the field of tourism, culture and entertainment
- Potential for dissemination of innovations at the national and international levels
- Complementarity with the other MT Lab’s startups
- Your solution fits in the areas of interest selected by members of the steering committee
Please note that all the selected candidates must understand French to attend the program: almost all of the business meetings are in French.
Who can apply?
This call for applications for the incubation program is intended for companies in Quebec, Canada and abroad, and entrepreneurs who are fluent in french. Those will need to be available to assist to regular business meetings and activities in Montréal, Québec, Canada (average of 1 per week, with a peak of 2 per week in May-June) for the whole year.
- Startups in the seed phase: Finalizing or having finalized the development of an offer whose suitability for the market is validated by a prior study, a prototype or early client acquisition.
- Startups in the launch phase: Having an initial industrialized and commercialized offer, already sold to one or more customers.
The startups each need to make 1 or 2 people available (ideally the founders or directors who are the strongest in business development) to participate to all the MT Lab’s mandatory activities as part of the incubation program. The majority of these activities will be held in French.
The projects with disruptive business models (even without using technology) will also be considered.
Who’s the jury?
The selection is made by the members of our steering committee and the startup ecosystem leaders.
MT Lab and its partners will provide guidance to startups willing to validate their business models and value on the market in tourism, culture and entertainment sectors.
- Knowledge about the ecosystem (6 weeks)
10 half-days with our partners, with a kick-off day by Paul Arseneault, head of the Transat Chair in Tourism (ESG UQAM)
- Networking with the industry (10 weeks)
Meetups, events, conferences and 5@7 (about 1 per week)
- Experimentation & Growth (4 months)
Pilot projects and coaching depending on identified strengths and weaknesses at the mid-term review
- Alumni Status & Knowledge Transfer
Getting acquainted with the next cohort
The dates will be shared with the ones that will be part of the incubation program.
(New!) 6 innovation axis: the innovation needs in tourism, culture and entertainment identified by MT Lab’s major partners:
Your innovative solution needs to answer to at least one of these 6 following axis, which have been identified by our major partners.
Axis 1 – Improved customer understanding: data, analysis, learning processes
- Data captation, structure and analysis of the leisure or business visitors.
- Traceability of visitors’ physical or digital journey and flow diversification/optimization.
- Satisfaction measurement on the emotions, purchase behavior, traffic and ROI.
- Process optimizations on strategic watch and forecast on trends and opportunities on the market.
- Answers to specific clients’ needs: new targets, destinations and practices, and multilingualism, pluriculturalism.
- Solutions to limit or compensate the visitor’s environmental impact.
Axis 2 – Enriching the omnichannel customer journey: mobility, fluidity, personalization
- Seamless interconnection between digital services and on destination.
- Destination conciergerie, personalized recommendations.
- Communication (customized, in real time, aggregated) with the client, before, during and after his/her visit.
- Resolution and management of irritants: fluidity of the client’s journey and of the waiting times, simplified payment, self-service, signage and orientation (interior and exterior), ticketing, baggage handling.
- Improvement/renewal of the mobility on site, in town, on territory or inter-regions.
- Solutions accessible in an offline mode (ex. remote territories, air transport, underground network).
- New products and services to increase the visitor’s expense and duration of visit.
- Increased access to local products and services, and visitors’ active participation to the preservation of natural and cultural assets.
- Social impact improvement and environmental impact decrease along the customer’s journey.
Axis 3 – Bonified locations, places and events: experience, adaptive, interactive
- Innovative events and attractions to improve locations, places and territories.
- Taking into account the weather conditions (Québec’s 4 seasons) and of the touristic seasons (high and low).
- Solutions that would make a location more adaptive, responsive: ambiance, visualization, gamification, interactivity (for the main public of for individual experiences).
- Facilities, design or pieces of furniture that would increase and improve the experience on site (cramped spaces, spaces in construction or ones with renovation in progress).
- Innovative solutions for access controlling (ex. automation, access points).
- Solutions that would improve local economic benefits: better integration between citizens and visitors, job creation, sustainable experiences, visitors’ managing flow.
- Management solutions or solutions that would decrease the environmental impact during public events.
Axis 4 – Innovative human resources management: productivity, collaboration, commitment
- Alternative solutions to labor shortage that would increase productivity and efficiency: optimization, automation, robotization.
- Innovative solutions to labor shortage and turnover: communication, mobility and sharing of manpower, training, recruitment, retention, valorization, engagement.
- Technological solutions to internal management: interdepartmental communication and between employees, contracts, billing.
- Solutions for a more responsible management and increased employees welfare: engagement, benefits, work environment, business relationships between employers-employees.
Axis 5 – Improved processes and sales: efficiency, performance, optimization
- Decision-support tools and marketing efficiency measurement.
- Dynamic pricing and inventory control solutions (yield management).
- Technological solutions for internal management: suppliers’ files, internal documents’ digitization, tree structure, access, data base.
- Solutions for procurement and distribution: optimization, expenditure reduction.
- Long-term sustainable plan, social implication, ecodesign, emission reduction or compensation.
Axis 6 – Emerging technologies in tourism, culture and entertainment
- Artificial intelligence (AI)
- Virtual and augmented reality, mixed reality (VR/AR/MR)
- Voice, facial and movement recognition/activation (biometric sensors)
- Contactless interfaces
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Clean Tech
- Telecom 5G
- Food Tech
- Tourism and health (Health Tech)
- Neuroscience and brain-machine interfaces